• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can he do that?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lilbit

I purchased a car, and the day befroe the first payment was due, it was repossed. I do not know why it was repossed, but I got a letter telling me that it would be sold at public auction and I would be responsible for any amount due. Can he do that?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

This makes no sense. Did you get financing that fell through? Did he give you notice? Any subsequent paperwork? Did he keep all monies spent thus far (money down?).

L

lilbit

Well, it's kinda a long story, but I'll try.
I worked for this guy, in a different capacity. Driving a 18 wheeler. He is into a lot fo different things, but anyway. I bought this car for my boyfriend, nothing down, and the payments weren't supposed to start until after my boyfriend checked it out, he drives also. before he had time to check it out, for some reason, our boss fired me (see employment law section), and my boyfriend had to come to utah and pick me up. shortly after we got back home, the car was repossed. He told my boyfriend that I didn't "go to the bank and sign the papers" was why it was repossed. But I had signed papers at his office. He also said that the "notice of repossion" was only a "formailty". But it still has me nervous.
For what ever it's worth, my boyfriend said that the car wasn't worth half of what he wanted for it.
I just feel like my former boss did that in an attempt to "intimidate" me, put me under a lot of mental strain. Because he had already threatened me, in a couple of different ways.

L

lawrat

I don't know. THe whole story is not being told. Didn't you get copies of these signed papers?

L

lilbit

Oh yes! I got signed papers. They even look just like the ones that I would have signed, had I went to the bank. In fact, that is what he said the routine was. I sign the papers, and he would take them to the bank, and the car was mine. He even told my boyfriend that the car lot co-signed the loan, but he didn't want everyone to know that, because then no one would pay, they would just rely on the car lot to make the payments, and reposess? the car.(so i can't spell). I still think he just did that to put me under mental stress. The funny part is, I don't know why. When I worked for him, I did the best job I could do. It was always good enough for my other employers. But that wasn't him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">