• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

re-establish rights after adoption in Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tcdoud

I signed adoption papers in Virginia about 10 yrs ago. Now my son is 12 yrs old and wants to have a relationship with me. I visited him a few times and we had a fantastic time together and a natural connection. Now, his mother informed me that the adopted father does not want me involved at all and is creating a lot of pressure for our son (against his will) to not have a relationship with me. Is it possible to overtun the adoption? If so, what's the likelyhood of success if contested? Thanks, -TCD

Just Blue

I signed adoption papers in Virginia about 10 yrs ago. Now my son is 12 yrs old and wants to have a relationship with me. I visited him a few times and we had a fantastic time together and a natural connection. Now, his mother informed me that the adopted father does not want me involved at all and is creating a lot of pressure for our son (against his will) to not have a relationship with me. Is it possible to overtun the adoption? If so, what's the likelyhood of success if contested? Thanks, -TCD
JHC! No. This adoption can NOT be overturned. Leave the poor child alone and stop messing with him.

happybug

The man you are calling the " Adoptive Father " IS this child's ONLY FATHER. He IS and will forever be DAD. Adoption is PERMANENT! You have NO LEGAL relationship to this child. If you wanted a relationship with him, you might have thought of that 10 years ago. He now has a DAD and it is not you. If you want a relationship with him, wait until he is 18. Because, right now, at least one of his PARENTS does not want you to have contact with THEIR minor child.

momofrose

You did right by this child 12 years ago - please do right by him now and understand and follow his parent's rules.

Gracie3787

I agree with everyone else. For now, leave the boy alone. When he becomes an adult he can see you if he wishes, until then he needs to obey his PARENTS.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The boy's parents have the right to restrict contact with you if they choose. The boy has no choice but to obey his parents. You can either choose to respect their choices or find yourself in the receiving end of a restraining order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">