• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My friends divorce situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amn70

What is the name of your state? NY

My friend was married to a woman for two years who has 5 children all from other fathers. They never had children together. She did not work and lived on public assistance until they were married. He was the sole income earner in the house during the marriage. The marriage fell apart which we all knew would happen. He moved out in October but no separation agreement was done. He continued to pay the bills through the end of 2007 and continued to give her $400 a month for groceries for the first two months of 2008. She and the kids are still on his medical.

He served her with divorce papers back in November. They were I believe a Notice of Complaint. She never responded to the papers in the legal manner in the 20 days. Instead she simply called his lawyer. Since my friend simply wanted to work out an amicable agreement with her for divorce his lawyer did not file the default judgement which I understand she could have since his wife did not respond appropriately to the papers. Instead the lawyer simply told her send in a stipulation letter stating what she was looking for in the divorce and they would go over it and get back to her with his stipulations and if an agreement was met she could simply sign off on everything and all would be well. Well after almost 2 months of dragging her feet she sent her stipulation letter into his lawyer. He did not like what she was requesting so he and his lawyer countered with an offer. She did not like the offer but again dragged her feet responding with her counteroffer. A month or so later her counteroffer or as I like to call it, a bitching and moaning letter finally arrived. Oh BTW she did not hire a lawyer and still does not have one. The letter she sent back was simply her complaining about how he did this and that and how she can't feed her kids and a bunch of other crap. So my friend countered again with an agreement thats mostly in her favor because he just wants to end the crap. She called the lawyer and verbally agreed to it. This was a over a month ago but she never came in to sign off even though his lawyer clearly told her what she needed to do. This week the lawyer called again and she told the lawyer she already said she agreed. When the lawyer asked why she hasn't completed her requirements to agreement meaning to sign it, have it notorized and dropped off she simply told the lawyer she had more important things to do. My friend really wants this end and gave her until Friday and if she did not come in and sign the agreement he was having his lawyer file the default judgement.

My question is can she after she is served with the default judgement still come in and sign the agreement and does the judgement then just become null and void or once the judgement is filed does it then have to be handled in the courtroom. Reason I am asking is my friend would rather it not go to court because of the time and costs. He main reason for having the lawyer file the judgement is to hopefully scare his wife into getting off her butt and getting this thing done so they can go their separate ways.

Thanks,
AdamWhat is the name of your state?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state? NY

My friend was married to a woman for two years who has 5 children all from other fathers. They never had children together. She did not work and lived on public assistance until they were married. He was the sole income earner in the house during the marriage. The marriage fell apart which we all knew would happen. He moved out in October but no separation agreement was done. He continued to pay the bills through the end of 2007 and continued to give her $400 a month for groceries for the first two months of 2008. She and the kids are still on his medical.

He served her with divorce papers back in November. They were I believe a Notice of Complaint. She never responded to the papers in the legal manner in the 20 days. Instead she simply called his lawyer. Since my friend simply wanted to work out an amicable agreement with her for divorce his lawyer did not file the default judgement which I understand she could have since his wife did not respond appropriately to the papers. Instead the lawyer simply told her send in a stipulation letter stating what she was looking for in the divorce and they would go over it and get back to her with his stipulations and if an agreement was met she could simply sign off on everything and all would be well. Well after almost 2 months of dragging her feet she sent her stipulation letter into his lawyer. He did not like what she was requesting so he and his lawyer countered with an offer. She did not like the offer but again dragged her feet responding with her counteroffer. A month or so later her counteroffer or as I like to call it, a bitching and moaning letter finally arrived. Oh BTW she did not hire a lawyer and still does not have one. The letter she sent back was simply her complaining about how he did this and that and how she can't feed her kids and a bunch of other crap. So my friend countered again with an agreement thats mostly in her favor because he just wants to end the crap. She called the lawyer and verbally agreed to it. This was a over a month ago but she never came in to sign off even though his lawyer clearly told her what she needed to do. This week the lawyer called again and she told the lawyer she already said she agreed. When the lawyer asked why she hasn't completed her requirements to agreement meaning to sign it, have it notorized and dropped off she simply told the lawyer she had more important things to do. My friend really wants this end and gave her until Friday and if she did not come in and sign the agreement he was having his lawyer file the default judgement.

My question is can she after she is served with the default judgement still come in and sign the agreement and does the judgement then just become null and void or once the judgement is filed does it then have to be handled in the courtroom. Reason I am asking is my friend would rather it not go to court because of the time and costs. He main reason for having the lawyer file the judgement is to hopefully scare his wife into getting off her butt and getting this thing done so they can go their separate ways.

Thanks,
AdamWhat is the name of your state?
None of the discussions, offers, counteroffers, etc have any meaning at all as far as the court is concerned. if the court awards the default judgment, then there's nothing she can do about it except try to appeal it, but I don't see where she'd have any grounds for an appeal. It will be over at that point except for the whining.

amn70

She gets three chances to answer the judgement

His lawyer did say that when she is served with a judgement and if she does not answer the judgement it does not mean he is simply then granted the divorce. His lawyer says the courts usually give the person 2 to 3 opportunities to answer meaning I guess that if she does not answer the first judgement in the alloted time she is notified at least 2 more times before the court would finally grant him the divorce. Does that sound right?

Just a remind you that this is New York State.

Thanks,
Adam

Silverplum

no that doesnt sound right at all
That's at least in part because this is a 3rd party posting. It's extremely difficult to "advise" a 3rd party because they do not have ALL of the info needed.

Thus, we generally tell 3rd parties to send one of the actual participants online.

amn70

That's at least in part because this is a 3rd party posting. It's extremely difficult to "advise" a 3rd party because they do not have ALL of the info needed.

Thus, we generally tell 3rd parties to send one of the actual participants online.
No I was sitting in the office with he and his lawyer when the lawyer made that statement. She specifically said that even if she serves his wife with the default judgement and she fails to answer it the courts will sometimes make 1 to 2 more attempts before they will actually grant the divorce uncontested. She says she's seen it with previous divorces she's handled. Not sure if she means they would be actually serving his wife 1 to 2 more times or if she will simply be notified with some sort notification letter reminding her that she has the outstanding judgement against her but it was clear his lawyer said once someone is served and doesn't answer the judgement doesn't mean that the game is over for them.

tuffbrk

My opinion - not legal is that depending on state, county, and judge, Family Court is not typically known for consistency. What one judge will tolerate and "excuse" is different from what another will. Quite often this results in additional "chances" being given to the respondent.

Your lawyer should be familiar with the behaviors of the various Family Court judges in your area so there is no reason to doubt what they are saying.

Does this pose an issue for your friend or is it simply a matter of not getting their hopes up?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">