• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illinois divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hominy

Hi, I am writing to hopefully get some advice on an Illinois divorce. Both of the people now live in Michigan for 1+ years. To coin the phrase from my boyfriend, His wife had the pitbull and he had the poodle.
My boyfriend and his wife started divorce proceedings over a year ago. During the whole time of the proceedings he lived in Michigan. And each time there was a court date set he had to take days off work and drive to Illinois to only to have the court date cancelled (without prior notification to him) or rescheduled to later be cancelled again (without notification to him). His lawyer never returned any of his calls no matter what time of the day he called or how often. He finally stopped paying her out of sheer frustration and thinking she would maybe call now and at least ask why she wasnt getting paid but no, she filed to be dismissed from the case.
My boyfriend was told that even though he and the now X lived in Michigan that since the divorce was filed in Ill. he would have to have a lawyer in THAT county to represent him. Is this true? There is a LOT more going on with this case. We really really need some advice. Can someone please help?What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">