• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking Divorce Settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aquaria71

What is the name of your state? Florida

My finace's ex was given all responsibility and potential proceeds of their home in the divorce settlement as a lump sum alimony payment. She has now decided that, given the market dive, she won't be able to sell it, so she is abandoning the home to go rent a house. She has told my fiance that she is not making any mortgage payments after this month, and will list the house for a short-sell. My fiance's name is still on the mortgage, so now, even though the court says he doesn't have a responsibility to the house, the bank will not see it that way. I need to to add that the divorce was final in October 2007 and the judge ordered that she put the house on the market within 30 days of the divorce finalization.

Also, she was ordered to remove my fiance's name from the title of her car and her mother's car within 30 days and has not done so either.

What can we do to stop her from walking out on mortgage and get her to abide by the terms of the settlement?

tuffbrk

File contempt. Or if she's abandoning the property, he can take it over - after all, his credit will be adversely affected otherwise. He can attempt to rent it out until the market improves.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">