• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

48 in 25 Media PA speedtrap

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flint338

What is the name of your state? PA

Hi.. first ticket, was doing 48 in a 25 down a pretty steep hill near Media PA. Part of their "smooth operator" campagne.. must have been 6-7 cops on this hill, which generally everyone speeds on.

Anyways.. the cop who pulled me over said if I went to some kind of safety course I could have the points removed.. but how do I do it? The person I called on the # for the ticket was "all the information you need is on the back" -- there's no information at all?! Just whether I plead guilty or not.

I assume I should plead non guilty and fight it in court, get it reduced?

Any help would be appriciated. Thanks

edit: oh, and it's for $167. I have no idea how many points it would take off, can anyone answer that as well..?

double edit: As Jena below pointed out, it's actually $164. Helps if I read it.. :). Points appear to be 5 off.

Last edited:

JDorrin

Speed Trap In Media

Ironically, i was given a ticket for going 48 in the 25 mph zone you were talking about. How this is true, i dont know. I kept my speed at under 30 the entire way down but me and the three people around me were all pulled over.
My ticket was for 164, not 167.
The officer told me to fight the ticket to have the points removed. He did not mention having to take a class. So before you spend your money on the class, take the ticket to court.
I have found several laws regarding speed traps that will make them invalid, one even saying the officers have commited a felony if they break the law.

I will be fighting this ticket, and you should too. You can email me at [email protected] and i will give you the information that i find.
Good Luck

Jena

JDorrin

P.s.

I forgot the points...
I believe speeding warrants four points
However...if you go 26+ mph over the speed limit, your license may be suspended

flint338

Ironically, i was given a ticket for going 48 in the 25 mph zone you were talking about. How this is true, i dont know. I kept my speed at under 30 the entire way down but me and the three people around me were all pulled over.
My ticket was for 164, not 167.
The officer told me to fight the ticket to have the points removed. He did not mention having to take a class. So before you spend your money on the class, take the ticket to court.
I have found several laws regarding speed traps that will make them invalid, one even saying the officers have commited a felony if they break the law.

I will be fighting this ticket, and you should too. You can email me at [email protected] and i will give you the information that i find.
Good Luck

Jena
Wow.. that's amazing. I wonder if anyone else was "clocked" at 48 down that hill. Maybe that's a good way to fight the thing.

I sent you an email.

Maestro64

Gents, this is easy to mount a defense against, it is a multi-officer operation so all officer who were involve in the violation must appear in court. Because of the large number of people they nab in these situations only one officer usually shows up at the court and usually it is not the one who wrote the ticket or measures the speed. Anything he attempt to say in court about the violation is consider hearsay.

If you choose to fight this ticket, most likely when you show up depending on your speed over limit you were tagged for they will offer either this new aggressive driver ed program they have (this program is not general public knowledge at this time) or they will offer you 5 over and no points if you agree to pay the fine.

If you're interested in fighting this, PM me and I can provide what you need since most like they used ENRADD, VASCAR or a stopwatch

Last edited:

flint338

Okay.. went to the courthouse today and asked the clerk about this safety course thing, she had NO idea what I was talking about. Plead not guilty, will get a court date sometime. We'll see if the judge reduces it or not.

Gents, this is easy to mount a defense against, it is a multi-officer operation so all officer who were involve in the violation must appear in court. Because of the large number of people they nab in these situations only one officer usually shows up at the court and usually it is not the one who wrote the ticket or measures the speed. Anything he attempt to say in court about the violation is consider hearsay.

If you choose to fight this ticket, most likely when you show up depending on your speed over limit you were tagged for they will offer either this new aggressive driver ed program they have (this program is not general public knowledge at this time) or they will offer you 5 over and no points if you agree to pay the fine.

If you're interested in fighting this, PM me and I can provide what you need since most like they used ENRADD, VASCAR or a stopwatch
I have no idea what they used, if anything.. the reciept I got from the township said "estimated 23mph over limit". Ehhh? How do you estimate it? Don't they have to show proof you were speeding..?

Maestro64

Okay.. went to the courthouse today and asked the clerk about this safety course thing, she had NO idea what I was talking about. Plead not guilty, will get a court date sometime. We'll see if the judge reduces it or not.
The program exists, it was offer to neighbor of mine, but the judge told them if they wish to avoid the points he would offer the class and if they pass the class and come back he would somehow make sure the points would not show up on the record. Unclear how that happens unless they change the ticket to be a non point ticket. Anyway the program seems only available if the judge offers it.

I have no idea what they used, if anything.. the reciept I got from the township said "estimated 23mph over limit". Ehhh? How do you estimate it? Don't they have to show proof you were speeding..?
I hope you made a copy of your ticket before you handed it over, on the part you signed and sent in, it has the information that says what they used and this is very important if you choose to defend yourself. They can estimate with what is known as Visual Estimate, however, in PA this alone is not enough to find you guilty. They must use an approved device like ENRADD, VASCAR or a Stopwatch. PA posts a list of all approved devices. If you do not have a copy you can go back to the court house and ask them to make a copy of the officer original front and back and they will charge you for the copy but it could be worth the quarters.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">