• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

GA-89 in a 55, with reason?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Col. Mustard

I am 19 years old, and I have had my license for about a year and a half. I recently got a speeding ticket for going 89 in a 55, but I feel like I have a valid reason for going over the posted limit. I don't know what to do to try to get my ticket reduced or dropped or anything, but I literally can't afford to loose my license... And I'm pretty sure since it would be 6 points and I'm under 21, thats where I'm headed. if I loose my license, I will loose my job, and my health insurance coverage. A work permit will not suffice, as I need a valid state drivers license to perform my job, that involves operating customer vehicles. The whole event played out like this: I was driving on a 2 lane highway, called GA highway 16, that stretches on for hours and hours. I was stuck behind a tanker truck, and the highway is fairly hilly, so the tanker truck was consistently going 5 to 10 mph under the speed limit, taking a very long time to accelerate up to speed. The cars behind me were flashing their lights and riding up on me, signaling for me to pass the truck, but I chose to wait, since it was hard to see around the truck and I didn't want to get myself in a dangerous position. after about 20 minutes, I found myself in a passing zone, where 1 lane opens up into 2, giving an opportunity to safely pass vehicles. As soon as the passing lane started, 2 cars that were behind me got over and flew past me and the truck ahead of me, and after they safely passed, I merged over into the left (passing) lane and began to accelerate to pass the truck. I was going roughly 65 mph when I checked, attempting to pass the truck, when I saw just ahead that the passing lane was coming to an end. I wasn't able to see the warning sign because the truck blocked my view. so I looked behind me to see if I could slow down, but there was an SUV behind me, so I down-shifted into 3rd gear and floored it to get past the truck. as soon as I got up next to the front of the truck, about to make it past him, a state patrol officer drove by in the other direction and threw his lights on. by the time I was able to slow down, he was already pursuing me. I pulled over, and he booked me for 89 in a 55. Is there any way I could get this ticket reduced or dropped? I don't know where to go for information, and I have a perfect driving record other than this ticket... Any help would be appreciated! Thanks for reading, and sorry for the long post... I just wanted to include all the info I could.

JETX

I recently got a speeding ticket for going 89 in a 55, but I feel like I have a valid reason for going over the posted limit.
Gee..... care to give your 'excuse' to us.

I literally can't afford to loose my license. f I loose my license, I will loose my job, and my health insurance coverage.
Should have thought of that BEFORE you decided to drive like a friggin' idiot endangering all the good drivers on the road.

I down-shifted into 3rd gear and floored it to get past the truck. as soon as I got up next to the front of the truck, about to make it past him, a state patrol officer drove by in the other direction and threw his lights on. by the time I was able to slow down, he was already pursuing me. I pulled over, and he booked me for 89 in a 55. Is there any way I could get this ticket reduced or dropped?
No one can tell what the court might or might not do.... but if it was MY court, your excuse would not fly.

FlyingRon

Unless your violation of the law was a direct effort protect the life of someone, I doubt your reason will fly.

patstew

I was going roughly 65 mph when I checked, attempting to pass the truck, when I saw just ahead that the passing lane was coming to an end. I wasn't able to see the warning sign because the truck blocked my view. so I looked behind me to see if I could slow down, but there was an SUV behind me...
Unfortunately, looks like you made the wrong choice -- you should have indeed slowed down, and the car behind you would have been forced to slow down as well. I understand your reasoning, but I doubt the judge will. Good luck.

Hey There

4-17-08

Col. Mustard

A well written post. It was almost like being in the passenger seat.:)

Two websites with info on contesting a speeding ticket are
Speeding Ticket -- Fighting or Plea Bargaining
Speeding Ticket FAQ
These explain the options a driver cited for a traffic ticket has , including the rights of a driver, asking for a continuance, Discovery, preparing a defence , and appearing in court.

The Law of Necessity applies when a driver needs to TEMPORARILY violate a traffic law because not to do so would put him in a situation more unsafe than a temporary violation of the traffic law.

Some lawyers will give a free consultation or charge a modest fee,$50.00? and explain the most viable option.

Georgia court rules may be explained in a court phamphlet, on the internet or found in a book on traffic tickets at the library.
According to a 2005 source speeding is considered a misdemeanor in Georgia and a driver so charged is entitled to a jury trial UPON REQUEST.

Keep Us Posted.
Best Regards,
Hey There

Best Regards,
Hey There

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">