• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

COLETTESAM5@AOL

What is the name of your state? NEW YORK

IF I GET DIVORCED, WILL I BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MY HUSBANDS BILLS THAT HE AQUIRED BEFORE WE GOT MARRIED. HE HAS A JUSGEMENT AGAINT HIM NOW. AND SEEING THAT I MAKE MORE MONEY THAN HIM, WOULD I HAVE TO PAY HIM ALIMONY ?

Last edited:

mistoffolees

I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know for sure, but I would guess you need more information. For example, did he pay anything on these bills out of marital resources? Has there been any change in the debt during the marriage?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? NEW YORK

IF I GET DIVORCED, WILL I BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MY HUSBANDS BILLS THAT HE AQUIRED BEFORE WE GOT MARRIED. HE HAS A JUSGEMENT AGAINT HIM NOW. AND SEEING THAT I MAKE MORE MONEY THAN HIM, WOULD I HAVE TO PAY HIM ALIMONY ?
You are not responsible for your husband's premarital debts whether you divorce him or whether you stay married.

However, if you have joint assets, such as a joint home that now has a lien against it because of the judgement against him, it gets really complicated. You will need help from an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">