• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about getting a divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

missladyice1

I live in Ohio, and my husband is incarcerated in WV. We've been married 6 years today, and haven't been together since day one, of our marriage. I've been thru years of abuse with him, and he is now, and has been, incarcerated for matters not pertaining to us. I feel this is the best time for me to get away from him, and to move on. My problem, I'm broke. Unemployed, seeking work, with no income what-so-ever. Is there any way I can get a divorce from him? Please, I'm desparate to move on with my life, and I need to be divorced from this man.

Last edited:

mistoffolees

I live in Ohio, and my husband is incarcerated in WV. We've been married 6 years today, and haven't been together since day one, of our marriage. I've been thru years of abuse with him, and he is now, and has been, incarcerated for matters not pertaining to us. I feel this is the best time for me to get away from him, and to move on. My problem, I'm broke. Unemployed, seeking work, with no income what-so-ever. Is there any way I can get a divorce from him? Please, I'm desparate to move on with my life, and I need to be divorced from this man.
See legal aid in your area to help with this. It should not be complicated.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Legal aid. You can also file for divorce pro se with a poverty affidavit which waives the UPFRONT filing fees but does not mean you will not be billed for them.

missladyice1

More involved....

So during six YEARS of this sham marriage you've never had enough to file for divorce?
I know that sounds unlikely, but, with the abuse I've sustained, you have no clue. He would beat me every payday, until he had every last penny. It wasn't until recently, that I was able to regain some of my self-esteem, get over the fear, and realize that I'm safe, for now, to begin to get away from him. I'm not completely sure of my safety, but, it's a start, and I want to move forward now. I have to. I don't expect you to understand, but, I thank you for replying.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I know that sounds unlikely, but, with the abuse I've sustained, you have no clue. He would beat me every payday, until he had every last penny. It wasn't until recently, that I was able to regain some of my self-esteem, get over the fear, and realize that I'm safe, for now, to begin to get away from him. I'm not completely sure of my safety, but, it's a start, and I want to move forward now. I have to. I don't expect you to understand, but, I thank you for replying.
You said you haven't been with him for six years (since day one of your marriage). So for six years he has not been beating you. He has also been incarcerated so how did he beat you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">