• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog attacks a dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

possible

What is the name of your state? Texas. I have two boxers that broke out of the fence, literally pushed out the boards on the fence, and attacked a neighbor's dog. She had to put her dog down. I am truely sorry for her loss, I am an animal lover and I don't want to see any animal hurt. The neighbor has admitted that she took her dog outside to go to the bathroom in the front yard and left the dog unattended, unleashed and was contacted by another neightbor that her dog had been attacked. The dog attack happened when she was inside (dog outside) and I was not at home. I have offered to pay for the vet bill (which she still has not brought to me) and buy her daughter a new dog. She has mentioned several times that her husband has said that he may want sue for pain and suffering but in conversation just yesterday she told me that she did not want to buy another dog because she was planning a vacation in July and she did not want the resp of having to take care of her daughter's pet. Huh??? What financial resp do I have? And is she somewhat responsible for leaving her dog unattended in the front yard? I have been told by another neightbor that her dog was unattended for an extended length of time and that the her dog did come into my yard and ran back when my dogs broke the fence. My dogs ran away and have not been found, my family is devestaded, everybody has lost in this situation. Our home owners association specifically states that all dogs must be leashed in the neighborhood. This is the first incident that our dogs have attacked another dog and they have NEVER attacked a human. We have taken our dogs to dog parks, on neighborhood runs, friends houses with other dogs and there has never been an incident. My dogs were extremely friendly and my children (3 & 9) and their friends were always playing and climbing on them, they never growled or barked at vistors. They are NOT vicious. Your thought???

Hot Topic

{Quote}I have two boxers that broke out of the fence, literally pushed out the boards on the fence, and attacked a neighbor's dog. She had to put her dog down{Unquote}

It doesn't matter how well behaved your dogs were on other occasions. On this one, they fought their way through the fence in order to attack the neighbor's dog. And they killed it. You're responsible.

possible

I kinda figured, more importantly is she responsible? And how responsible am I. My understanding is that a dog is considered property and paid and suffering cannot be collected.

I kinda figured, more importantly is she responsible? And how responsible am I. My understanding is that a dog is considered property and paid and suffering cannot be collected.
You are right about them not being able to get pain and suffering. But you'll be responsible for the vet bills, and possibly replacement cost of the dog, but if they don't want another one what are you supposed to do about that? Offer to pay the vet bills and buy a new dog of the same breed. If they don't accept, let them take you to small claims.

SF439

A federal court ruling has enabled people to collect for pain and suffering from the loss of a pet during the negligence of someone else. I had a similar situation but my neighbors dogs broke through the fence killing my cat which was in my yard, on my property. That was key. But their home owners insurance is who settled the case and I suspect this woman will sue you and your home owners insurance as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">