• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

old sticker on friends car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? ma.
who gets the citation? the friend that is driving his buddies car which is found to be without a valid sticker, or the buddie that owns the car?

i am told it is the owner, but i don't understand how he can be cited if he was not operating the vehicle nor was he in the vehicle. i always believed that the operator was responsible for the vehicle which he was driving.

thanks

thank you very much!!!

no one believes me and this just happened to a friend of mine by state trooper! this is a no brainer. so if i drive my buddies car and it is discovered unreg. unins. i do not get cited, he does? for what? owning an unreg. unins. vehicle? he isn't operating it. so
who gets the surcharge on sticker violation? my friend is appealing and i would hope it gets dropped.

thanks. i think we are correct. where can i look it up?

JustAPal00

Yes! If you are the driver, you get the tickets. It's not illegal to own a vehicle that is not registered, it's just illegal to drive it. Same with the inspection or insurance. The crime is driving without it.

JustAPal00

Your buddy may get a surcharge to bring his tags up to date because the vehicle is being used! Also there might be some other fines because he was alowing an unregistered vehicle to be driven!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">