• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate Rules in Arkansas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kareninsd

What is the name of your state? For Arkansas.

My friend is the executor of her deceased mother's will. She read me the will and her mother has left her all her assets. But she is being told that her deceased brother's children are entitled to half. Is that possible? ThanksWhat is the name of your state?

Dandy Don

Is there any language in there giving a reason why nothing was left to the other siblings?

She needs to take the will to a probate attorney to have the will evaluated to see if it is fit to be filed for probate.

kareninsd

Probate Law in Arkansas

The only other other sibling died years ago. The question is why do his children get half the assets when everything was left to the remaining sibling.

kareninsd

Probate Law in Arkansas

My friend read me the will. It stated that there two children from her mother's marriage, my friend and her deceased brother who passed away years ago. It reads that all the assets of the mother are left to her daughter, my friend. A lawyer told her that her deceased brother's children divide half the assets between themselves, even though everything was left to her. Is that an Arkansas law or does it apply to all the states? While my friend's mother was alive she gave over $25,000 to these grandchildren, does that make any difference?

seniorjudge

My friend read me the will. It stated that there two children from her mother's marriage, my friend and her deceased brother who passed away years ago. It reads that all the assets of the mother are left to her daughter, my friend. A lawyer told her that her deceased brother's children divide half the assets between themselves, even though everything was left to her. Is that an Arkansas law or does it apply to all the states? While my friend's mother was alive she gave over $25,000 to these grandchildren, does that make any difference?
If the will said simply that half goes to sis and half goes to bro, then if sis dies, her heirs get her half. That's the general rule.

Grandma could've given sis a million dollars and bro a sack of coal during grandma's lifetime and it wouldn't make any difference.

anteater

If the will said simply that half goes to sis and half goes to bro, then if sis dies, her heirs get her half. That's the general rule.

Grandma could've given sis a million dollars and bro a sack of coal during grandma's lifetime and it wouldn't make any difference.
On the other hand, if the will specifically stated that Daughter X is to receive 100%, then Daughter X should be asking the attorney what the basis is for stating that predeceased brother's kids receive half.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">