• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment advise, thank you!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needadvice123

What is the name of your state? VA

I got married September 2007 to a man in the military. We've never lived in the same city while married and 2 months later he got stationed overseas. I still haven't moved there yet because he is deploying and won't be back until the fall '08. I recently found that he had a profile on a dating website. Additionally, he had promised me before we got married that he would get out of the military after this 4 year enlistment. He now is telling me that he wants to be in the military for life. If he would have told me this, I never would have married him. This is something I was dead set against and he promised me that he would get out after 4 years.

Is this considered fraud and is it grounds for an annulment? I understand that it's cheaper and easier to get a divorce, but the next time I get married, I don't want to have to go through the process of stating that I am divorced in my marriage license paperwork.

Additionally, would an annulment be cheaper going through military lawyers since he's in the military? I don't know if anyone has experience on this, but I would appreciate any advice. I feel betrayed and I can't trust him. How long does a typical annulment process last? There will be no fighting over money or other assets. It will be a clean cut break. Once again, thank you for your advice.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state? VA

I got married September 2007 to a man in the military. We've never lived in the same city while married and 2 months later he got stationed overseas. I still haven't moved there yet because he is deploying and won't be back until the fall '08. I recently found that he had a profile on a dating website. Additionally, he had promised me before we got married that he would get out of the military after this 4 year enlistment. He now is telling me that he wants to be in the military for life. If he would have told me this, I never would have married him. This is something I was dead set against and he promised me that he would get out after 4 years.

Is this considered fraud and is it grounds for an annulment? I understand that it's cheaper and easier to get a divorce, but the next time I get married, I don't want to have to go through the process of stating that I am divorced in my marriage license paperwork.

Additionally, would an annulment be cheaper going through military lawyers since he's in the military? I don't know if anyone has experience on this, but I would appreciate any advice. I feel betrayed and I can't trust him. How long does a typical annulment process last? There will be no fighting over money or other assets. It will be a clean cut break. Once again, thank you for your advice.
Just get the divorce. If you get married again, you'll presumably be honest enough to tell your fiancee the whole story anyway, so getting the more expensive annulment doesn't really save you any trouble.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">