• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stop Sign Ticket HElp?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nfrost1

What is the name of your state? Riverside, California

The cop pulled me over for "rolling a stop sign". I also had someone else in the car and i still have a provisional license. Does anyone know how much my ticket will be, and is there anyway i could fight it?

CdwJava

The cop pulled me over for "rolling a stop sign". I also had someone else in the car and i still have a provisional license. Does anyone know how much my ticket will be, and is there anyway i could fight it?
CVC 22450:

22450. (a) The driver of any vehicle approaching a stop sign at the
entrance to, or within, an intersection shall stop at a limit line,
if marked, otherwise before entering the crosswalk on the near side
of the intersection.
If there is no limit line or crosswalk, the driver shall stop at
the entrance to the intersecting roadway.
(b) The driver of a vehicle approaching a stop sign at a railroad
grade crossing shall stop at a limit line, if marked, otherwise
before crossing the first track or entrance to the railroad grade
crossing.
(c) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a local authority
may adopt rules and regulations by ordinance or resolution providing
for the placement of a stop sign at any location on a highway under
its jurisdiction where the stop sign would enhance traffic safety.
I doubt you can beat the offense based solely on what you have written. You can always go to court and hope the officer shows. You might also be eligible for traffic school, so you may want to ask about that ... however, I honestly don't know if provisional licensees are eligible for traffic school or not (maybe I'll look into it tomorrow).

The fine and fees should be at about $146 per the CA uniform bail schedule, and it will be one point against your license.

- Carl

Hey There

4-18-08

Nfrost1
Minors must appear with a parent or legal guardian.
Traffic/minor offenses can be adjudicated by reprimands, special projects, fines, traffic school, or volunteer community service.
Source:Superior Court of California - County of Orange
(Riverside, Ca. local rules likely the same?)
2008 California Rules of Court
Rule 5.546. Prehearing discovery
(a) General purpose
This rule must be liberally construed in favor of informal disclosures, subject to the right of a party to show privilege or other good cause not to disclose specific material or information.
(Subd (a) amended effective January 1, 2007.)
(b) Duty to disclose police reports
After filing the petition, petitioner must promptly deliver to or make accessible for inspection and copying by the child and the parent or guardian, or their counsel, copies of the police, arrest, and crime reports relating to the pending matter. Privileged information may be omitted if notice of the omission is given simultaneously.
Source:California Rules of Court
Title Five. Family and Juvenile Rules (Rules 5.1 - 5.830
)
is there anyway i could fight it?
Discovery ,which is a copy of the officer's notes , a copy of the video if one was made, a copy of the front and back of the ticket , where the officer was when he saw the alleged violation you were cited with is available in Ca. Information about Discovery can be found by typing in Discovery for Traffic Tickets on Google.
If a witness is reliable and can testify that he observed that no violation occured,( in this case that you stopped) this is a real plus.
Sometimes a lawyer will give a one time consultation for a modest fee ($50.00) or free and explain a driver's options.
Lawyers that will do this would be listed in the yellow pages of a phone book.
A local library may have additional information of fighting a traffic ticket in a book published by NOLO.

Keep us posted
Best Regards,
Hey There

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">