• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Enforcing terms of divorce settlement in CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rjfrankel

What is the name of your state? CA

My divorce was final in December. We negotiated a settlement, as outlined in our Marital Separation Agreement, that has my ex husband paying me a sum ($18,000) to settle our accounts. No alimony or anything else. He knows he has to do this (and told me in December he would be doing it), but now he does not respond to emails.

How can I get him to comply with the terms of the agreement? What are my options?

If possible, I do not want to involve a lawyer, because that will cost money. I am happy to spend the time going down to the courthouse if that is what I need to do. I just want this to be done!

Thanks,
Ricki

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state? CA

My divorce was final in December. We negotiated a settlement, as outlined in our Marital Separation Agreement, that has my ex husband paying me a sum ($18,000) to settle our accounts. No alimony or anything else. He knows he has to do this (and told me in December he would be doing it), but now he does not respond to emails.

How can I get him to comply with the terms of the agreement? What are my options?

If possible, I do not want to involve a lawyer, because that will cost money. I am happy to spend the time going down to the courthouse if that is what I need to do. I just want this to be done!

Thanks,
Ricki
Did the settlement include any timing requirements? You will probably want to file for him to be held in contempt. I don't think this will be too hard and you might be able to do it on your own, but be sure to research the rules carefully. If you have to use a lawyer, you could ask for legal fees, as well, but I'm not sure whether they're routinely awarded in your area.

rjfrankel

Unfortunately, there were no timing requirements...

How do I research what to do? While I've been able to figure out how to navigate through most of this on my own, I have not been able to find out how to navigate through getting this enforced.

I have no problem with him being found in contempt, or served with papers. I proceeded through the actual divorce carefully and did not act from anger or a desire to hurt him -- but now I just want to be done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">