• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing a home owner's association

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

salkhi

What is the name of your state? CA

I have owned a rental property in NC for the past 2 years. After owning the property for more than 1 1/2 years, the association mailed my invoice to the property management company in NC. Upon learning about this error, I contacted the association immediately and had them mail the invoice to my home in CA. The invoice I received clearly showed that all late fees ($60) were waived and I proceeded to pay the outstanding balance. In January, I had yet to receive my invoice, so I left them a voice to insure that they had corrected the mailing address, but I did not hear from them. Then in February, I receive an invoice with the current dues along with $80 in late fees. They added additional $20 to original $60 late fees that were waived. I have written to them, but they insist that I owe the late fees. I intend to pay all the late fees then sue them.

I've read on this site that travel expenses are not recoupable even if I were to prevail. Can I sue them for more than the late fees (fraud, misrepresentation, etc) so that I can recoup my travel cost to North Carolina?

I am truly annoyed by them.

racer72

Small claims court is for actual monetary damages. Things such as fraud and misrepresentation are arbitary amounts that cannot be based on actual damages. You would have to sue in a higher court. It would hardly be worth it for such a small amount.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">