• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice Please!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

qtpiegracie

What is the name of your state? California

Hi, my name is Grace, Im an 18 year old college student.

I rented a room from a girl who originally said it was just going to be me and her living in the house. I lived there for two months of hell. She actually had a husband which she lied about, who lived there too! ( I did not agree to this). These people were actually hardcore alcoholics, the husband was a drug addict(coke and meth) and they would engage in huge violent domestic disputes. After two months I told the girl I needed to move out because I did not agree on living with him. (it was getting really uncomfortable living with a 33 year old guy). After our conversation she told me I could move out at the end of the week and that she would give me my 400$ security deposit even though as a tenant I should have given a 30 day notice. Well it turns out at the end of the week, the day i was planning on moving, the ****ing husband convinces her to make me stay the whole 30 days ( i know it was only for my money). I told her no and that it wasn't safe and that she broke our original contract and I had other living plans and so i moved out anyway. Well now, they obviously wont give me my security deposit. So I'm actually working on the paperwork for small claims. Im going to sue for 1200 dollars because after 21 days, she never gave me an itemized deduction in the mail, and so I will try to prove she acted in "bad faith" in refusing to return my security deposit. So basically, Is my case legitimate? How do you think it might work out in court? Is there anything I should do differently?

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help!

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state? California

Hi, my name is Grace, Im an 18 year old college student.

I rented a room from a girl who originally said it was just going to be me and her living in the house. I lived there for two months of hell. She actually had a husband which she lied about, who lived there too! ( I did not agree to this). These people were actually hardcore alcoholics, the husband was a drug addict(coke and meth) and they would engage in huge violent domestic disputes. After two months I told the girl I needed to move out because I did not agree on living with him. (it was getting really uncomfortable living with a 33 year old guy). After our conversation she told me I could move out at the end of the week and that she would give me my 400$ security deposit even though as a tenant I should have given a 30 day notice. Well it turns out at the end of the week, the day i was planning on moving, the ****ing husband convinces her to make me stay the whole 30 days ( i know it was only for my money). I told her no and that it wasn't safe and that she broke our original contract and I had other living plans and so i moved out anyway. Well now, they obviously wont give me my security deposit. So I'm actually working on the paperwork for small claims. Im going to sue for 1200 dollars because after 21 days, she never gave me an itemized deduction in the mail, and so I will try to prove she acted in "bad faith" in refusing to return my security deposit. So basically, Is my case legitimate? How do you think it might work out in court? Is there anything I should do differently?

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help!
triple post

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=402378

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=402375

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">