• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 questions: annulment and business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1977**cwm

What is the name of your state? Illinois

1. My husband and I married in June of last year and split within the year. The marriage was not consummated. Can this be grounds for annulment?

2. My husband and I had started a NFP together that we ran under the agreement that I was the acting Director and he the CFO/executive director. He has control of the financials for the organization. We ran this NFP for 5 years together. I gave up professional income to be the Director and returned to law school. Over the course of the last two years it was position to raise money for the organization for paid staff, including my position as it rapidly became full-time. We did receive some major funding which after we broke up he verbally promised would be used in part to pay me. He has put of the date of that salary from month to month until now I am in such financial peril that I can no longer 'wait' and have had to quit and give my roll. I told him repeatedly I would be broke by mid-May and he promised to pay me in time, but has now set the date at July 1st knowing full well that it will force me to leave the organization and be on the verge of bankruptcy. I took nothing out the marriage other than personal belongings that I paid for.

Long question - but am I completely without a leg to stand on? I think I might be, but I have to check as I am giving up my stake in a organization I worked very hard to build - and that work resulted in a reputable program, grants to our organization and other community support. I'm leaving it to perish it seems (if he chooses to let it) and I'm not taking anything with me - not even a pay check. My husband is however is living for free at his mother's condo and going to law school, while I can no longer buy groceries because I acted in good faith that I would be paid.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state? Illinois

1. My husband and I married in June of last year and split within the year. The marriage was not consummated. Can this be grounds for annulment?

2. My husband and I had started a NFP together that we ran under the agreement that I was the acting Director and he the CFO/executive director. He has control of the financials for the organization. We ran this NFP for 5 years together. I gave up professional income to be the Director and returned to law school. Over the course of the last two years it was position to raise money for the organization for paid staff, including my position as it rapidly became full-time. We did receive some major funding which after we broke up he verbally promised would be used in part to pay me. He has put of the date of that salary from month to month until now I am in such financial peril that I can no longer 'wait' and have had to quit and give my roll. I told him repeatedly I would be broke by mid-May and he promised to pay me in time, but has now set the date at July 1st knowing full well that it will force me to leave the organization and be on the verge of bankruptcy. I took nothing out the marriage other than personal belongings that I paid for.

Long question - but am I completely without a leg to stand on? I think I might be, but I have to check as I am giving up my stake in a organization I worked very hard to build - and that work resulted in a reputable program, grants to our organization and other community support. I'm leaving it to perish it seems (if he chooses to let it) and I'm not taking anything with me - not even a pay check. My husband is however is living for free at his mother's condo and going to law school, while I can no longer buy groceries because I acted in good faith that I would be paid.
Since you say you returned to law school, you should know some of the answers, already.

1. Retain an attorney.
2. You should get 1/2 of marital assets which will include any increase in the value of the NFP during your marriage. Since you jointly started it, you might be entitled to half of its total value.
3. File for divorce now. An annulment will cost you more.
4. As soon as you file for divorce, it is unlikely that he can fire you or change your employment significantly. That would be grounds for a contempt filing. Since it sounds like you already quit, you may have made a major mistake. Talk with your attorney.

LdiJ

Since you say you returned to law school, you should know some of the answers, already.

1. Retain an attorney.
2. You should get 1/2 of marital assets which will include any increase in the value of the NFP during your marriage. Since you jointly started it, you might be entitled to half of its total value.
3. File for divorce now. An annulment will cost you more.
4. As soon as you file for divorce, it is unlikely that he can fire you or change your employment significantly. That would be grounds for a contempt filing. Since it sounds like you already quit, you may have made a major mistake. Talk with your attorney.
An NFP is a "Not For Profit". It technically has no value and certainly can't be bought or sold. Someone working for the NFP can earn a salary, which apparently is what she was promised, but could never have an ownership interest, because by definition, its ownerless.

I agree with the rest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">