• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I switch lawyers?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mkzc

I live in the state of Missouri. I was indited last September on federal charges of possession with intent to destitute. The inditement was drop. The US attorney told me that I might see the charges come back or they might disappear. Last week the charges were indited again and I was arrested. I was release on a signature bond, till my arraignment. I never got a chance to meet with my lawyer and discuss the fee till the day of the arraignment. My lawyer quoted me an outrageous price 10 minutes before trail, and I had to have a lawyer present with me, so I was screwed. My lawyer told me that he would have to do all this work to less my sentence that is why the fee was so high, but he did not know all the details. Before the arraignment he talked to the prosecuting attorney, and I heard them discuss a little bit of the case. The prosecuting attorney told my lawyer that they were going to give me the probation with out my lawyer doing anything, due to the fact that I followed the rules an was a first time offender. Is there any way that I can switch lawyer due to the outrageous amount of money he wants to charge me? I could have had any lawyer take the case and I would have go the same charge due to me following the rules. I spoke with a lawyer that knows the same attorneys and judges in the FED level, and he said he would charge less due to the fact that he does not really have to do anything. I never signed any contracts with my lawyer and the case has not gone to trail yet, is it possible for me to switch lawyer at this point in the case.

ALawyer

If it will not delay the trial, or prejudice you, the judge will almost always permit that. That does NOT mean that the old lawyer has no claim for the work he or she did to that point. Consider asking the new lawyer what should be done, as many are gun shy as they fear that if you ditched one lawyer, or fought over the fee, they'll be the next, but if you show you want to do the right thing, they'll feel much better about things.

If you still have a dispute as to the fee, most bar associations have procedures to resolve fee disputes and you should contact the bar association if it is something you and the old lawyer can't resolve.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">