• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married in Sweden

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MelissaLupin

My name is Melissa, I am now living in Nevada. I am a citizen of the US, my ex-husband was from Sweden.
When we were married in Sweden, I filled out an Apostille, and we moved to California, but never sent it in to the state. He left me, and filed for divorce in Sweden, and we are now divorced (i hope!). When we were married I was filing as M01 in California. BUT, now that we are suposedly divorced, I moved to Nevada, and now on my paychecks it says I am M01 for State, even though when I filled out my new W-4 as S00 for both state and federal. I know it might have something to do with the fact that Nevada does not have State Tax, and maybe they just didn't bother changing it for my paycheck. I was just worried that maybe I still am legally married in California? How would I find this out, and how can I change the M01 on my paycheck?

LdiJ

My name is Melissa, I am now living in Nevada. I am a citizen of the US, my ex-husband was from Sweden.
When we were married in Sweden, I filled out an Apostille, and we moved to California, but never sent it in to the state. He left me, and filed for divorce in Sweden, and we are now divorced (i hope!). When we were married I was filing as M01 in California. BUT, now that we are suposedly divorced, I moved to Nevada, and now on my paychecks it says I am M01 for State, even though when I filled out my new W-4 as S00 for both state and federal. I know it might have something to do with the fact that Nevada does not have State Tax, and maybe they just didn't bother changing it for my paycheck. I was just worried that maybe I still am legally married in California? How would I find this out, and how can I change the M01 on my paycheck?
All states in the US recognize all legal marriages from other countries, and all legal divorces. If you are divorced in Sweden, you are divorced in CA.

If you filled out a New W4 as single and zero, and your employer shows Married and zero, then your employer simply made a mistake. Fill out another W4 form and turn it in. Lots and lots of married people have their withholdings listed as Single and zero...so it really has nothing to do with your actual marital status.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">