• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ccastle

What is the name of your state? California

I need serious advice. In one night my whole life changed. I married my wife when I found out I got her pregnant. We had only dated a short time and I guess I thought it was the right thing to do in regards to the baby. We've have been married 1 year now and it has been the most difficult year in my life.

It has been one argument after another. I just cant believe I thought the marriage woulc work. My wife doesn't work and is very demanding when it comes to finances. I am working my butt off to make ends meet, but it is not enough for her. I make about $55k per year and live pay to check to paycheck. I had some debt before we married and between paying that and the current bills it doesn't leave me with anything left.

Our relationship is going downhill fast and our daughter is 6 months old. My wife continously brings up the issue of divorce, but I am concerned about whether I have to pay alimony.

I don't have a problem with paying child support. In fact, I would love to keep my daughter but I doubt the courts give me custody, so I am wonderint if anyone has knowledge about me having to pay more than child support.

Please HELP.

Charles

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? California

I need serious advice. In one night my whole life changed. I married my wife when I found out I got her pregnant. We had only dated a short time and I guess I thought it was the right thing to do in regards to the baby. We've have been married 1 year now and it has been the most difficult year in my life.

It has been one argument after another. I just cant believe I thought the marriage woulc work. My wife doesn't work and is very demanding when it comes to finances. I am working my butt off to make ends meet, but it is not enough for her. I make about $55k per year and live pay to check to paycheck. I had some debt before we married and between paying that and the current bills it doesn't leave me with anything left.

Our relationship is going downhill fast and our daughter is 6 months old. My wife continously brings up the issue of divorce, but I am concerned about whether I have to pay alimony.

I don't have a problem with paying child support. In fact, I would love to keep my daughter but I doubt the courts give me custody, so I am wonderint if anyone has knowledge about me having to pay more than child support.

Please HELP.

Charles
Your marriage is far too short term for alimony to be an issue. The worst that could happen is that you might be ordered to pay something while the divorce is pending.

mistoffolees

LdiJ has already answered the alimony question.

I'd like to comment on custody. Don't go into this assuming you can't get custody. More and more courts are awarding 50:50 physical custody and it's not unheard of for the father to get sole custody (still only a single digit percentage of cases and the age of your child works against you, though). If you start out thinking you have no chance of custody, you won't even try for it. Make sure you talk with your attorney about all the options wrt custody if that's something you want. You might be surprised.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">