• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snoop-bc

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I was wondering if I stop paying my wife's bills because she wants a divorce. What can she do other than file for divorce and then the judge will make the desicions. We have one car that now works and I've been letting her use that to get back and forth to school. She has her own car but it's broken. If I take my car back and she has no way to get around is that my problem. I'm not legally resposible correct?

nextwife

You are both equally responsible for marital debt. But , technically, auto repairs one may wish to do are not DEBTS. I need to paint my house, that is NOT a "debt" unless I choose to have the work done. Unless a judge has ordered you to repair the car you do not have to do so. She could, potentially, take the bus, like I did when I commuted to college.

However, if she cannot complete the classes she's already been attending, it may come back to bite you as that will delay her entry into the workforce. That's if the marriage has some years.

LdiJ

You are both equally responsible for marital debt. But , technically, auto repairs one may wish to do are not DEBTS. I need to paint my house, that is NOT a "debt" unless I choose to have the work done. Unless a judge has ordered you to repair the car you do not have to do so. She could, potentially, take the bus, like I did when I commuted to college.

However, if she cannot complete the classes she's already been attending, it may come back to bite you as that will delay her entry into the workforce. That's if the marriage has some years.
There is even some chance that a judge could hold you responsible for some of her student loans, or wasted tuition, if you deliberately make it impossible for her to get to class.

Its also possible that the judge could order that SHE gets the working car if you have the means/ability to repair the other car, and she does not.

So, don't take anything for granted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">