• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to Appear, Posting Bail, and the Civil Assessment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

occharge

What is the name of your state? California - Los Angeles County

I recently found out I had a failure to appear on a citation which I had received back in August of 2003. Upon contacting the court, I had it scheduled for Arraignment a few days ago. I plead "Not Guilty" and was given a trial date for next month.

I was also required to Post bail equal to the amount of the fine for the alleged traffic violation PLUS the Civil Assessment which was added due to my failing to appear when promised. (Bail amount I posted = $658)

(The court's website shows the Citation with CVC section: 22350 and 40508.a)

My question is, let us assume that I somehow manage to get the CVC 22350 count dismissed. That would suggest that the bail I posted or a portion thereof will be refunded to me upon the conclusion of the proceedings. Correct? But do I get a refund for the entire amount ($658) including the Civil Assessment or am i not ever gonna see that portion of money ever again?

Also, how much different is it if the Status screen showed CVC sections 22350, 40508.a, 40509.5)???

Thank you in advance for any information...

samalendu

Similar situation, need suggestion

I am having the exact similar situation where i didn't receive the traffic citation due to wrong address on my vehicle registration. Received the letter from DMV when they put my license on hold and about to be suspended in a month time. I would appreciate if you could share your experience. My charges are 21453AVC, 40508AVC, 405095VC. Thank you in advance.

OHRoadwarrior

The law requires you update your address on registration. Failure to do so, then ignoring citations ends in this manner. What do you want us to say? Hire a lawyer or clean up your mess by appearing in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">