• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

BOUGHT a stolen cattle trailer,need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mama54

I live in TN .I bought a cattle trailer on the internet,took it to a auction to sell it.Someone recognized it,as being there stolen trailer.The trailer was confinscated.I have a bill of sale from the person that I bought it from,which is a cop.I was told that I would have to sue him,to get my money back.He says that he dont have to give my money back,that it will have to fall back to the person that stole the trailerI have a bill of sale from this man,will it due me any good to sue him?THANKS

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes - sue him in small claims court (if applicable). Let HIM deal with the person who sold it to HIM.

mama54

Yes - sue him in small claims court (if applicable). Let HIM deal with the person who sold it to HIM.
Thanks for the reply,wasnt sure if I could sue him or nor.Do you know if I can do this in the county that I live in,or does it have to be the county the trailer was bought in?

mama54

Stolen Cattle Trailer

OK,so from what I have found out,I need to file a cival suit,against the cop.There is a charge for filing it.Will he be required to pay these fees back,if I win?ANOTHER thing Im wondering about,if I win,will he have to pay me in one lump sum,or can he get by with paying$20.00 a month?THANKS

xylene

I live in TN .I bought a cattle trailer on the internet,took it to a auction to sell it.Someone recognized it,as being there stolen trailer.The trailer was confinscated.I have a bill of sale from the person that I bought it from,which is a cop.I was told that I would have to sue him,to get my money back.He says that he dont have to give my money back,that it will have to fall back to the person that stole the trailerI have a bill of sale from this man,will it due me any good to sue him?THANKS
How was the trailer recognized?

mama54

How was the trailer recognized?
It was identified by 2 men walking up and saying it was there trailer,no seial numer,nothing.He had filed a police report in 2005 on a sto;len cattle trailer,but it had no serial number on it,neither did the trailer.

xylene

Sue seller.

Lesson learned - always buy a titled vehicle with a VIN number you can check out.

mama54

Sue seller.

Lesson learned - always buy a titled vehicle with a VIN number you can check out.
I HAVE DEFINITLY learned my lesson,and I have learned that I have to file a cival suit against the cop[yes,cop],that sold it to me,but was wondering,There is a charge for filing it.Will he be required to pay these fees back,if I win?ANOTHER thing Im wondering about,if I win,will he have to pay me in one lump sum,or can he get by with paying$20.00 a month?THANKS The cop has admitted selling it to me,but refuses to return my money.

xylene

You can sue for your court costs.

You will get a judgment if you prevail.

I would expect a lump sum. I do not know why the court would allow such a paltry schedule for repayment.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I HAVE DEFINITLY learned my lesson,and I have learned that I have to file a cival suit against the cop[yes,cop],that sold it to me,but was wondering,There is a charge for filing it.Will he be required to pay these fees back,if I win?ANOTHER thing Im wondering about,if I win,will he have to pay me in one lump sum,or can he get by with paying$20.00 a month?THANKS The cop has admitted selling it to me,but refuses to return my money.
Yes, you will recover your costs to file/serve the case (if you win).
The court will not help you collect. You will have to explore the collection options in your state.

tranquility

Or, if you made such inspections as should be reasonably made on such a trailer, sue the purported owner for conversion. If you were a bona fide purchaser for value, the legal owner's remedy is against the fradulent seller and not you the beneficial owner.

mama54

You can sue for your court costs.

You will get a judgment if you prevail.

I would expect a lump sum. I do not know why the court would allow such a paltry schedule for repayment.
Our neighbor borrowed a utility trailer from us,traded it for drugs.We had to take him to court.He paid $20.00 here and there to the court,untill our $500.00 was paid,then we picked the check up at the court house.

seniorjudge

Our neighbor borrowed a utility trailer from us,traded it for drugs.We had to take him to court.He paid $20.00 here and there to the court,untill our $500.00 was paid,then we picked the check up at the court house.

That's very strange.

The Tennessee Bar Association says the court does not collect judgments.

Please explain.

mama54

That's very strange.

The Tennessee Bar Association says the court does not collect judgments.

Please explain.
THE only thing i know was that it was a warrant that we took out for himHe passed right by my house everyday for almost a yr.I would call the sheriffs dept and ask them why he hadnt been picked up.They would always say well check into it.He got arrested for something else,and thats how we got our money back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">