• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cemetery contracts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JDiehl

I am from Pennsylvania. I purchased my cemetery plots in 1984 and prepaid all the extra costs for opening and closing the grave at the time of my death. Over the years the original owner filed bankruptcy and the cemetery was sold to a new owner through a Sheriff's sale. That owner then sold it again to the present owners. The current owner is telling me I have to repay those costs (opening & closing fees) since there was no money set aside by the prior owners to cover this. I paid these costs over 16 years ago and don't feel I should have to pay them again. If the new owner bought the cemetery shouldn't she have to abide by the contracts already in existance? I always thought that when you buy a business you also buy its liabilities? Please help me before she does anything else. Thank you.
Jona Diehl

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

It's time to see an attorney who practices Contract Law. Have that attorney write a firm, yet informative, letter stating the law and your expectations under the contract.

If the new owner fails to affirm the contract, then your attorney should file a lawsuit for "Anticipatory Breach of Contract".

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">