• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

WV - CONTESTING WILL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nannease

Need information on how long you can wait to contest a will in West Virginia after it has been probated?

Mother and step-father had identical wills. There are 3 children on my mother's side. Step-father has 2 children.
Both wills left their estates to each other and in the event they had died it was to be as follows: There was to be $30,000 given to the children of my step-father. After this everything was to be split 50-50 between my family and my step-fathers children.

Three years after the death of my mother, step-father changed his will and left 80 percent to his children and 20 percent to my family. We have no idea why he did this. We all had a good relationship and loved each other. We did not know this until several weeks after the will had been probated. Step-father was allowed in live in our home until his death. We were not able to find his first will due to the fact that all papers had been empied from his desk before his death.

Need advice on what to do.

T

thcmac

Will contesting

I hope this will help you. Go to the State of WV web site.
http://www.legis.state.wv.us/ on the left of the screen is the WV Code click it open to WV Code and click again this will take you into the search area, you then can do a search for wills, estates, etc. I did a mini search there is a lot of info. (This is how I found the info I needed for Maryland Statues for my mother by going to the Maryland Web site.) Also check with the Register of Will in your county.
Monica

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">