• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Carole444

What is the name of your state? PA

My father died leaving 2 months on his apartment lease. He had no will and no estate--all his accounts had my name as joint owner so they passed to me in that way. We have verbally told the apartment that he had no estate and we are not responsible for his debts, but they keep coming after us. We are worried that they will damage our credit. How can we get them to leave us alone? (He lived in PA--we live in CA) Thx

Dandy Don

Ask them to send you a copy of the lease and see if there is anything in there that mensions whether he is liable or not.

Since there is no estate for them to file a claim against, they are going to be out of luck. There is nothing they can do to damage your credit. and if they do that, there are legal options you can pursue to get it corrected.

tranquility

Unless they were truly joint accounts where you put money in which you later got on death, they can't go after *you*, but they can go after your father's money. Since you have father's money, they can open a probate and demand the accounts come back to pay the estate's debts. For such a small amount, I find it unlikely they would do so--but they can.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">