• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a legal claim?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobblemommy1

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
My ex husband bought a car from his aunt. The car was a police impound and needed work. I registered the car in my name, as all the cars that we owned together were registered and insured in my name. My ex decided that he didn't want the car no longer and his cousin (MIA) said that he wanted the car and would repair the vehicle and then purchase the car. He took the car to be repaired. He had the car for a total of 3 weeks, where the car was ticketed for a total of $800.00 in parking tickets. Because I didn't know about the tickets, they added up to $2,200.00. He did return the car without the work done and I took it off the road. As a result of the tickets I have loss my drivers license. My ex had told me that he would pay for the tickets when he recieved a settlement. Well the settlement is here now and he told me that he will not pay for the tickets, He said he isn't responsible. Question: Is he responsible for paying these tickets?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
YOU are responsible for the tickets (to the issuing agency). However, if you can PROVE that the vehicle was in total control of another person, then you MIGHT be able to recover the amount of the tickets from that person. You may or may not be responsible for the late fees, etc., because you didn't take care of this in the beginning. (Notices are mailed, but it will depend on WHEN they are mailed).

SF439

You have a slight chance for suing for breach of verbal contract, but, it's a slim chance you'll win. The car is under your name and you let someone drive it. The consequences of letting someone else drive the car is on your shoulders. Do you have a purchase agreement with the person who was going to buy the car? You can try your luck in small claims and hope it scares him into paying what he promised.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">