• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant Vs. Landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rsharon1

What is the name of your state? Maryland

My landlord and her property manager are trying to withhold money from my security deposit for "damages" done to the house. When my lease was over I requested being at the walk through. They gave me a list of dates, then ended up choosing a date not from that list to do the walk through despite the fact that I couldn't be there. I questioned this with great concern, and the property manager stated that once the walk through was completed I would be sent a list of possible damages and then given the opportunity to go back into the townhome to make rennovations or fix anything I chose to OR have it deducted from my security deposit. The walk through was done on a Tuesday morning, and I was sent a list on Friday afternoon of the results. The owner began rennovations on that house, right after the walk through, as she wanted to put the house on the market. Right after I got the walk through results I questioned why I wasn't able to get into the house to make the adjustments as I was told, especially since they were already redoing the place. The question was ignored for days, and 3 weeks later the property manager and landlord are still fighting with me. I feel that since the house was completly rennovated before giving me the opportunity I was promised, that I should not have to pay the full amount of the money asked for. The property manager still avoids my questions about this. Am I able, or do I have a case to fight them on not paying the entire amount, for things I never got to fix like they told me? I have the entire agreement in emails as well from myself and the property manager. They have become very rude and angry with me because I am fighting for my money, but I don't agree that I was given a fair opportunity as they said. Thats besides the fact that I think that many of their claims were unfair.

Thank you in advanced for any advice or ideas I may reveive!

SF439

If you have the emails then you have a written agreement, which they violated. I would take the matter to small claims. You have a very good case.

xylene

If you have the emails then you have a written agreement, which they violated. I would take the matter to small claims. You have a very good case.
Are you just making this up?

The tenant has every right to contest damage charges.

The landlord is not obligated to allow the tenant to fix anything.

rsharon1

I am asking if because the property manager stated that I was given the right to make repairs, and then never allowed it, is that considered breaking the agreement that we came too. I never said the landlord is obligated to allow me to make changes normally, what I am questioning is the fact that it was offered to me in writing then not followed through.

FelixCasio

If I were you I'd take it to small claims court.
Make sure you fully understand the deposit contingency (under what conditions you are entitled to receive all or part of it back)
If the landlord does not have proof of reimbursing you your deposit money and they dont have physical evidence of your damages they you most likely will get awarded your deposit. If the landlord presents pictures of construction, reconstruction, or remodeling, that wont be sufficient in court as damage claims. The burden lies on the landlord to prove you damaged his property, and he must present specific repairs for specific damages, if you broke a skin he mush show bills of repair for a sink.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">