• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested due to a type-o

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ryanrogers

I was arrested in Joplin, Missouri in October 2007 for multiple felony charges. I was arraigned, even though the victim could not be located. After locating the victim, it turned out that the guy they were looking for is named Bryan Rogers, mine is Ryan Rogers. Joplin Police had left the B off the first name. The arrest warrant had several discrepancies, some of my information and some of his. At this point I'm out quite a bit of money and I was recently declined for a job because this is on my record. I'm a former US Marine and consider myself a respectable member of the community. I have tried contacting several attorneys in the Joplin area, but can't find anyone to talk to, or take this case for me. I want to know of I have a legal right to sue, and if so any recommendation on an attorney to use.

tranquility

I don't think you have a case. Warrant issues are common and those who are hurt by them rarely if ever get anything in court.

ryanrogers

I find it hard to believe that there is nothing that can be done. I find it harder to believe that this is a common occurance due to sheer lack of police investigation. I've lived in the same place for years. I would have been more than happy to answer questions, stand in a line up, or something, anything. They didn't even bother trying to contact me. I had these felony warrants for my arrest for more than a year and a half, and find out about them when I'm pulled over for a tail light. This type of thing shouldn't happen to people, and when it does there should be something that, that individaul could do about it.:mad:

Thanks for the response!!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You SHOULD be able to have this removed from your record. I am not sure of the procedure to do this. Maybe start with a phone call to the local prosecuting office (the one that handled the warrant in the first place)

Rexlan

Zigner is correct. You need to have the record expunged and the local prosecutor should be willing to help you.

“In Missouri you may file a verified petition for expungement in the civil division of the circuit court in the county of your arrest. The court then sets a hearing on the matter no sooner than 30 days from the filing of the petition. If the court finds that you are entitled to expungement of any record, it must enter an order directing expungement.”

Once this is done the records are sealed and it will never again show up on any background check. Unfortunately sloppy police work causes problems and most unfortunately the offending parties have immunity for the most part. There isn’t much you can do about it other than try to have it expunged.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">