• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

guardians hampering recovery from injury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deeadt

My daughters fiancee received a brain injury in September and was in a coma for 4 weeks. While my daughter (Brandy) stayed in the hospital with him his 3 sisters ( whom he had not had contact with in 3 years because of a disagreement) received conservatorship of him and had him removed to a convalescent home and have blocked all of his friends, coworkers, and Brandy from visiting or calling. They allow his 6 year old son to visit for 3 hours on Sunday if one of them is available to take them. They have sold his motorcycles, vehicles, boat and motorhome and took Brandy to court and took her engagement ring on the grounds that he is mentally incompetant and can no longer marry her without their permission. One of his nurses have been blocked from his floor and his rehab therapist was fired last week because they were allowing him to call Brandy in the morning so he would cooperate because she was the only way to get him motivated. Another nurse called this morning and said he was refusing to eat or do his exercises so she let him talk to Brandy but she is afraid of getting in trouble. We need to know what kind of help we need and where to find it so he can have contact with his old life and help his recovery.

xylene

If he was ruled mentally incompetent, then perhaps his long term prognosis is worse than you are hoping.

Good luck. I suggest you need a lawyer. BE prepared to be disappointed. Fiance's mom does not have much legal clout. However if the sisters are abusing him, that is another matter.

BlondiePB

My daughters fiancee received a brain injury in September and was in a coma for 4 weeks. While my daughter (Brandy) stayed in the hospital with him his 3 sisters ( whom he had not had contact with in 3 years because of a disagreement) received conservatorship of him and had him removed to a convalescent home and have blocked all of his friends, coworkers, and Brandy from visiting or calling. They allow his 6 year old son to visit for 3 hours on Sunday if one of them is available to take them. They have sold his motorcycles, vehicles, boat and motorhome and took Brandy to court and took her engagement ring on the grounds that he is mentally incompetant and can no longer marry her without their permission. One of his nurses have been blocked from his floor and his rehab therapist was fired last week because they were allowing him to call Brandy in the morning so he would cooperate because she was the only way to get him motivated. Another nurse called this morning and said he was refusing to eat or do his exercises so she let him talk to Brandy but she is afraid of getting in trouble. We need to know what kind of help we need and where to find it so he can have contact with his old life and help his recovery.
THIS FORUM IS FOR QUESTIONS ABOUT U.S. LAW ONLY

When posting a question, you must include the name of your state!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">