• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alias Summons - Please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brandi87

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

I was handed a letter today by Sheriff Deputy, he simply knocked on my door, handed me the papers without a word and walked away. They are an Alias Summons and Complaint, they are not mine however, but I do Know the named defendant in the case. I tried to gain some knowledge and found a website for Mississippi Court Procedure and it states:

"By Sheriff A summons and complaint shall, at the written request of a party seeking service or such party’s attorney, be served by the sheriff of the county in which the defendant resides or is found, in any manner prescribed by subdivision (d) of this rule. The sheriff shall mark on all summons the date of the receipt by him, and within thirty days of the date of such receipt of the summons the sheriff shall return the same to the clerk of the court from which it was issued."

I called the County Court Clerk and asked the status for the docket number and was told "NO RETURN RECEIPT", so I think this means the paperwork was not properly served, is this correct.

The defendant is a family member, however she has never lived at this address, it is entirely wrong on paperwork, Can I just mail the paperwork back to the court and write "Unknown" on it, and not have a judgment entered on this family members name? THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND CONSIDERATION!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">