• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue someone on active duty?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mandyroo16

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

First of all, can I sue someone if they are on active duty in the Airforce? He is stationed in Texas right now. Also, I'm not even sure if I have a case. My ex and I signed an apartment lease together last year with the agreement that I would move in a few months later but then we broke up and I never moved in. I paid the first couple months and security deposit. My ex stopped making payments, and got charged a fee to break the lease. Can I sue him for the first couple months rent since I never lived there? :confused: Help!

The Soldier's and Sailors Relief Act may make that difficult, unless the defendant voluntarily appears in court.

Also, you've probably got an uphill battle with the facts as you've described ...

racer72

My ex and I signed an apartment lease together
Without any specific agreement in place for you to be repaid, you have no case. Signing a lease only guarantees you will be liable for the rent, it does not mean you don't have to pay if you choose to not live at the place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">