• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

christysanchez

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have a child from a previous relationship, we were never married. My husband and I got together when he was 2. His biological father has been in and out of jail and has made no attempts to see him nor paid child support during the years. The child wants the step fathers last name. Is there a way I can do this without the father signing off or having a say in the son wanting this? He is not around to raise nor help pay for him. Even if he ever tries to establish a relationship the visitation is supervised due to his on going drug problems. What can I do about this? Isn't it abandonment? Please help.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? Texas

I have a child from a previous relationship, we were never married. My husband and I got together when he was 2. His biological father has been in and out of jail and has made no attempts to see him nor paid child support during the years. The child wants the step fathers last name. Is there a way I can do this without the father signing off or having a say in the son wanting this? He is not around to raise nor help pay for him. Even if he ever tries to establish a relationship the visitation is supervised due to his on going drug problems. What can I do about this? Isn't it abandonment? Please help.
Is there a court order for support? Is there any court orders for visitation? And as the biological mother why do you believe your rights to this child supercede dad's at this point? The child can want a lot of things but a court is NOT going to approve a name change to stepdad's last name. You would have a better chance of having the child's name changed to YOUR last name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">