• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

separation question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

andi0320

i live in minnesota and my husband of 6mo just admitted to me 2days ago that he has a drug/alcohol problem. i'm in the process of compiling an informal (no lawyers, counselors, etc--just a written understanding between us) separation. i hope that we can work things out and avoid a divorce but i do have huge doubts that things will work out so fairy-tale. just this evening, my husband told me he believes he needs extensive treatment to battle his addictions. if we are in an informal separation what are my obligations for his treatment? would things be any different if we were legally separated? my issue is that i want to protect myself in the event that his treatment is unsuccessful (and divorce) and i'm stuck with a huge bill. (side note, my husband is unisured and unemployed).
any information/resources/insights would be appreciated. thanks

LdiJ

i live in minnesota and my husband of 6mo just admitted to me 2days ago that he has a drug/alcohol problem. i'm in the process of compiling an informal (no lawyers, counselors, etc--just a written understanding between us) separation. i hope that we can work things out and avoid a divorce but i do have huge doubts that things will work out so fairy-tale. just this evening, my husband told me he believes he needs extensive treatment to battle his addictions. if we are in an informal separation what are my obligations for his treatment? would things be any different if we were legally separated? my issue is that i want to protect myself in the event that his treatment is unsuccessful (and divorce) and i'm stuck with a huge bill. (side note, my husband is unisured and unemployed).
any information/resources/insights would be appreciated. thanks
A legal separation may be in order. You should really talk to a local attorney. He may even be more eligible for assistance to battle his addictions if you are legally separated or even divorced.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">