• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beat 22349(b) ticket, 70mph in 55mph zone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ama_aragon

What is the name of your state? California

Ok. I got a 22349(b) ticket for doing 70mph in a 55mph zone. It was in Riverside County California. I plan on submitting a Trial by Declaration but would like some input first.

So it's a 2 lane highway and I am driving straight ahead well there is a downward hill at the end of a striagh away, so before you get to the end of the straight away you cannot see what is at the bottom of the hill. So the cops sit behind some bushes at the bottom of the hill and slam all the people coming down the hill who cannot see them with speeding tickets.

I never like to speed on this highway because I drive on it everyday and I know it is very dangerous so I know I wasn't speeding excessively. I'm not POSTIVE how fast I was going but I'm sure I was going about 55 to 60 before I went down the hill. (Yes I know that is speeding still...) Do you think it is possible that the downward hill might have let my car speed up?

If so would I be able to file a trail by declaration with a no contest and asking for the judge to lower my sentence to a 21710 (coasting charge) which does not put points on my record?

And if I do that, do I file as 'no contest' or 'not guily' ... I'm really new to this stuff and I just started researching so I'm not quite sure of the difference between the two but that no contest means that you are admitting to guilt.

I really have no problem paying the bail whatever it is but I just do not want the points on my record.

Any and All help would be great.

-Amanda :confused:

ama_aragon

I dont want my ticket to be dismissed. I want the points to be taken off my record. I cannot take traffic school because I did so already. The CVC 21710 does not carry points. My defense would be ... I was coasting down the hill...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I dont want my ticket to be dismissed. I want the points to be taken off my record. I cannot take traffic school because I did so already. The CVC 21710 does not carry points. My defense would be ... I was coasting down the hill...
So, your defense would be that your allowed your vehicle to exceed the speed limit while coasting down the hill? :rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You know - whenever a car exceeds the speed limit, one could argue that it was gravity...
(ie: gravity just PULLED my foot down!)

occharge

If you've already taken an 8 hour Traffic School class within the 18 month prior to the date of this citation, some courts/judges will allow a 12-Hour Traffic School class. This class cannot be taken online; it has to be in a class room setting.

You might want to contact the Court to inquire about the 12 hour class to see uf it is offered at that court.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">