• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

spouse will not sign divorce papers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gordon24

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
I have been separated:confused from my spouse for three years. It has been 2 months since he has been served divorce papers. He seems to keep stalling. Is there any legal action that can be taken to try to prod him along to sign these papers? He states that he has no intention of contesting the divorce.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
I have been separated:confused from my spouse for three years. It has been 2 months since he has been served divorce papers. He seems to keep stalling. Is there any legal action that can be taken to try to prod him along to sign these papers? He states that he has no intention of contesting the divorce.
Have you sat down and talked to him about it? Have you point blank asked him why he isn't signing the paperwork? You can proceed with a divorce even if he doesn't sign, but then it will be treated as contested even if he doesn't actually contest.

gordon24

Yes, I have spoken to him. There are always different circumstances as to why he hasn't signed them. How can you proceed to get a divorce if the spouse does not sign. If it is treated as a contested divorce then how are you legally divorced?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">