• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can't settle a judgement??!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nice2NoU

TEXAS: My husband has a judgement against him which is now on our home. We found this out because we are trying to refinance and title company made us aware. Its a judgement from a school loan (TX Higher Education TXHE) dated May 1994. All this time its been gaining interest and the original amount was $2200, now its blown up to over $6000. I don't understand why all of a sudden its showing up?! We are currently on our second home and the judgement never showed up. We called TXHE and they said no settlement could be made. Any advice? :( Shawna

Rexlan

The advice is pay your debt. Student loans are to help folks get an education. They are not gifts, they do need to be repaid and it is irresponsible for anyone to try to skip on it.

Just because you "got away" with it for years ... does not mean that the debt is not owed. The interest is the same as you would have received (or less actually) if you had put that $220 in savings in 1994.

The loan is not "blown up". At a modest 8% the $2200 would be worth a bit over $6,700 today. In real terms it would easily be worth over $10,000. What is so difficult to understand about this? Heck, you've probably spent much more than that going out to dinner all those years ...lol.

I agree there should be no settlement ... pay the debt before they execute on your house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">