• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can't settle a judgement??!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nice2NoU

TEXAS: My husband has a judgement against him which is now on our home. We found this out because we are trying to refinance and title company made us aware. Its a judgement from a school loan (TX Higher Education TXHE) dated May 1994. All this time its been gaining interest and the original amount was $2200, now its blown up to over $6000. I don't understand why all of a sudden its showing up?! We are currently on our second home and the judgement never showed up. We called TXHE and they said no settlement could be made. Any advice? :( ShawnaWhat is the name of your state?

You'll have to pay the debt as part of the refinance. Or, you can wait until you sell the house, and the judgment will be automatically paid from the proceeds of the sale.

There are many reasons why the judgment is just now showing as a lien on your house (I'm assuming your husband was aware the judgment was entered; if that is not correct, post back). Most likely, it was neither abstracted (filed in the real property records of the county in which you reside) until recently. If it was not abstracted, a title search does not find it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">