• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how can i claim my wife is she is not is the us?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

paulog

I AM MARRIED AND MY WIFE IS NOT IN THE US YET. I'VE HEARD ABOUT CLAIMING MY WIFE ON MY TAX RETURN AS LONG AS SHE HAS AN ITN OR INT NUMBER. I'M NOT REALLY SURE WHAT IT IS, BUT I SURE WANT TO FIND OUT IF I CAN APPLY HER FOR ONE AND HOW. AND BY THE WAY SHE IS IN THE PHILIPPINES RIGHT NOW AND SHE HAS NEVER BEEN TO THE UNITED STATES. I APPRECIATE ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE TO ME. THANK YOU.

L

loku

Nonresident alien spouse exemption

On a joint return you can claim one exemption for yourself and one for your spouse. You can choose married filing jointly as your filing status if you are married and both you and your spouse agree to file a joint return. On a joint return, you report your combined income and deduct your combined allowable expenses.

If you file a separate return, you can claim the exemption for your spouse only if your spouse had no gross income and was not the dependent of another taxpayer. This is true even if the other taxpayer does not actually claim your spouse's exemption. This is also true if your spouse is a nonresident alien.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">