• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FL driver in NC, Reckless, About to get arrested?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fsu23phd

Hi, I'm a Ph.D. student at FSU, and a few weeks ago, an international student sent an e-mail to our mailing list asking about advice on traffic tickets... I replied with general information.

She comes into my office, telling me that she got a ticket in NC for 96 in a 60, construction zone (late at night, no one around but her and the cop).

I told her, get a lawyer, or they'll take your license away. She said ok and went away.

Yesterday, I was at the gym with a friend, also an international student from China, I asked him if he was going to the CNN protest in Atlanta. He said yes, and he's going with this same girl.

I remembered that her court date is April 28, the protest is April 26 (today is the 24th). I told him about her ticket, he said he knows the situation, but she has decided not to go, because the lawyer is asking for $700. Apparently her uncle told her that the NC ticket won't effect her FL drivers license. I'm guessing he's not a lawyer.

I did a little research, and not surprisingly, her uncle is wrong.

I have my own moral dilemma. On the one hand, I don't think she should be driving, so I have half a mind not to tell her anything else. On the other hand, I am wondering if she might actually get arrested. If so, I guess I have to tell her, at least to drive up there and request a continuance.

So my question is: can she get arrested for failure to appear in an NC court, when she lives in FL?

Also I'm curious what common outcomes might be if she gets a lawyer, does not get a lawyer and goes to court, or does not get a lawyer and does not to court.

Oh, also, could this be something that might impact her F1 Visa

She's only been in the US for less than a year, and I am assuming she has no other tickets.

I was able to find her offense online...

Arraigned Offenses for Case Number: DELETED BY fsu23phd
Arraigned Defendant Name: DELETED BY fsu23phd
County: WAKE
Court Date: 04/28/2008
Session: NC
Court Room: 001A

Offense Code Description Statute
4475 Infraction SPEED IN HWY WORK ZONE 20-141(J2)
5446 Traffic RECKLESS DRIVING TO ENDANGER 20-140(B)

Last edited:

fsu23phd

Thank you for your reply, Occultist, it is exactly what I wanted to know. I let her know, it turns out she had gotten a lawyer for around $400. I'll let you know what happens (if she bothers to tell me).

Thanks again!

Chris

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">