• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College Professor borrowed money from me and never paid me back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wife-mom-stpmom

What is the name of your state? CA

Alright, when I was 17 and a senior in high school I was attending college full time(2005/2006). My best friend and I were taking the same classes together and took Biology 100. The professor was very nice to the both of us and at the end of the fall semester recommended to us Anthropology 101, which he was teaching in the fall. We decided to go ahead and take his Spring class.
During the time that he was my professor he lived 30 minutes away in another city and asked me and my best friend to come pick him up at his house and drive him to the Airport. We did it no questions asked, because we thought he was our friend... regardless of the fact that he was in his late 30's.
At the end of April 2006 I turned 18 and it had previously been mentioned on one of our Airport trips that I was getting a settlement for a car accident I was in as a child. Well just a few days after I got my settlement my professor approached my best friend with a sob story about how he couldn't pay his bills and how he was applying for disability for genetic medical issues. (we had heard of the medical issue's multiple times in the past). Well my best friend came to me and asked if I could help him and lend him $600. My parent's warned me not to... but I still did. He was very secretive about it all, he told us he could get in trouble with the college for borrowing money from his student because it would look like bribery and I would flunk his class and he would be fired. So we met at a grocery store near the college and I gave him the $600. with the agreement that he would pay me back by mid May 06.
The semester ended and I went to college... but I still kept in contact with him asking for my money back via e-mail. At first he pushed it back to June, then July, then August, then he stopped responding to my e-mails. I called the college and was told that he was no longer an employee of theirs.
I recently found his myspace profile and found out that he is living in another state now. Is there anyway I can still get my money back??

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Doubtful. You've paid a stupid tax and need to learn the lesson. Don't lend money to family or friends.

xylene

Remind the professor: That by the same line of reasoning as bribery, the loan looks a lot, in fact more like blackmailing a student for 600 dollars on threat of flunking, and of course he was just on hard times and I understand completely how there is a way that you could pay me back immediately and I won't be compelled to report this matter to the ethics committee which will question me but hammer you and wreck your community college career forever.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">