• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Enforcing a Calif. Judgement In Idaho

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mepamela

I have just recently finished divorce preceedings in the state of Idaho. The courts would not decide on a previous judgement that I had from the state of Calif. against my husband during our first marriage. The court required me to obtain a "modified judgement" modifying property to a lump sum. I had to appear in court in Calif. to do such. My ex husband represented himself. I have just recieved the modified judgement. My question is; how do I turn this into an enforcable judgement in the state of Idaho so that I may pursue collection through a lien on his property and attach his wages? Can I do all of this without an attorney?

JETX

You should be able to do this without an attorney. What you need to do is contact the appropriate Idaho court and ask them what you need to 'domesticate' a California judgment. They will probably ask you to get an 'exemplified certified' judgment from the California court and to complete an Affidavit of Judgment. When you get the judgment from the CA court, send it to the Idaho court (recommend Certified RRR) with the appropriate Idaho court filing fee and Affidavit. Then, the Idaho court will start process to get the judgment domesticated. It usually consists of sending the debtor a certified letter, giving him X days to object to the filing. If he doesn't object, the court grants the judgment and renders an Idaho judgment. This judgment can then be used to enforce the California (now Idaho) judgment in Idaho.

Contact the court in Idaho, they should be able to help you with what forms are required.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">