• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My dog killed another dog who ran into my yard!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bijoux

I apologize - I have no idea what I'm doing here!

I don't know what type of lawyer to seek advice from.
Can you help?

Bijoux

OK, Short but not so sweet...

I have a big dog and a little dog. The little one never goes out of the yard so I don't put her on a leash. I keep the big one on a leash. I took them out in the backyard to go to the bathroom. The medium size dog from two houses over came running over barking directly at my large dog and me. He stopped right in front of us and started barking. When I didn't see the owner coming to get the dog, I became a little nervous so I pulled on my dog's leash so we could go back inside. Before I knew it, the two were fighting. The medium size dog didn't die until the next morning after a surgery. The problem is that the owner is harassing me and threatening all sorts of things about my dog including a petition to 'put my dog down'. But...I was in my own backyard. My dog was on a leash, theirs was not and came into my yard. I realize this is very tragic because I am a huge dog lover and I am sooo very sorry about their dog. But now I am fearful of what they can do to my dog or me for that matter. PS. I should mention that since that day, I have gotten an estimate on getting a fence for my backyard to protect my dogs and me as well as outsiders.
Help me, please.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would suggest you add up any out-of-pocket costs and submit the bill to the owner of the unleashed dog. Based on your post, the other person can pound sand.

Bijoux

I don't have any out-of-pocket costs for my doggie. He sustained injuries to his eye which are healing - thank goodness.
Do I have to worry about the HOA?
Do I have to worry about my Homeowners Insurance?
Are there any examples of cases of my similar situation that I may be able to look at?
My doggie has never been deemed a "dangerous" dog by law but what about now?
Does the breed of the dog matter at all in this situation?

Rexlan

I agree with Zigner.

In fact the owner of the loose dog should be cited as well. Based on what you have said it is clear that the other dog was threatening you and your dog was protecting you. If my dog had acted much differently than your did it would be looking for a new home! I'd also tell the neighbor that if they continue to harass you that you will seek a protective order and file a complaint.

People are responsible for their pets but unfortunately most don't see it that way.

Bijoux

There's actually a lawyer who is listed on this site as a dog bite lawyer. When I contacted him, he said that he only does dog bite human cases. He didn't even know where to direct me or didnt want to take the time.
I asked several questions in a previous thread but no one responded to them. Is there anyone I can actually TALK to? I am really upset about all of this..

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Tell your neighbor to put up or shut up. Either make good on her threats (which are BS) or leave you alone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">