• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

settlement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tl3

Before I married my wife I was in an auto-accident. We are getting a divorce soon, and my case is soon going to settle. Since the auto-accident was before the marriage is she entitled to any of it?

LdiJ

Before I married my wife I was in an auto-accident. We are getting a divorce soon, and my case is soon going to settle. Since the auto-accident was before the marriage is she entitled to any of it?
In most cases no, she would not be entitled to any of it. However, you should really run that by a local attorney.

garrula lingua

I believe she may have a claim to a small amount if any monies were for lost wages ...

All the rest, including future medical expenses, are yours alone (theory being that your future life is reduced/more expensive and pain & suffering are ongoing).

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I believe she may have a claim to a small amount if any monies were for lost wages ...

All the rest, including future medical expenses, are yours alone (theory being that your future life is reduced/more expensive and pain & suffering are ongoing).
Only if the wages lost were DURING the marriage.

tl3

Thanks!

I thought thats how it worked. I would have asked an attorney but we're going the 'friendly' route and working everything out ourselves, and may still be married for awhile due to health insurance issues. Just wanted to make sure she would be getting her 'fair share' of everything- I doubt she would ask for any of it, I just wanted to know the legal stance.

Thanks again. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">