• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm getting sued!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vg30

What is the name of your state? MN

This is kind of a long story, but i'm going to do my best to make it as easy to read as possible.

My former buddy and I (+ friends on both sides occasionally) did a motor swap in his 95 integra ls. We put in a JDM type R motor and a B16 transmission. We also put in new suspension all around. The car was in pieces in my garage for most of the month of April due to dude not having all the right parts and being too cheap to get them locally.

My garage is a very old structure. It was built in the 20's for a Ford model T. It is a one car garage at best. It is the only garage I have. My z has about 3 in of clearance on the mirrors going through the door.

Once his car was complete and road ready again he asked if he could leave his old motor and trans in my garage for a few weeks. (he lived in an apt at the time) I said sure you can leave it here for a few weeks, but dont leave it here all summer. He also left a set of b series cam gears, broken abs mugen replica lip, stock integra suspension, and the stock ecu. Also the motor was missing a few parts; starter, plug wires, tps sensor,and injectors.

As the months passed i stated to get pissed about having this pile of crap in my garage. I called him every few weeks and told him to come get his ****. He always said that he didnt have any where to put it. I called atleast 12 times in september alone trying to get him to remove it from my garage. He told me to move it outside and put a tarp over it. He would not even come over to help me move it out. I told him I would not move it into my yard. (my yard isn't great but i dont feel like having a motor and misc parts just hanging out in my yard, seems very tacky to me)

More time passed and snow will be coming any day, it was after all november in MN. I needed to get that stuff out so i could store my z for the winter. I sold all the crap for $350. He called me in December saying that he had just bought a house and he'd like to come get his stuff. I told him that i sold it and that i'd split what i got 50/50 since i had to store his crap for 8 months and provided tools and labor for around 50% of the project. He says that is not acceptable and that hes going to sue me for it. Some harsh words were exchanged...and 4 more months go by..i got a letter in the mail yesterday informing me that my court date is July 14 at 1:30. Hes suing me for $1450 + filing fee ($60). Keep in mind its a stock integra ls motor (b18b1) with 120k on it,and a 5spd transmission.

Any thoughts on how screwed i am?

milspecgirl

should have taken it all and left it on his doorstep.- let him deal with it. did you tell him you were going to sell it if he didn't get it by x day? was there a contract for you to keep it?
wasn't yours to sell. you allowed him to store it and never gave him a date by which to have it out. nothing in writing? he can say you never asked him to get it out. same time, you could say that he gave it to you in exchange for the work.. see how it goes when there is nothing written. at least offer him the full money- it was his stuff.

Ozark_Sophist

Perhaps leaving the motor and parts was in lieu of payment for services rendered and space rental.... :rolleyes:

Too bad you had nothing in writing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">