• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School Suspension/Expulsion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Daerog

I live in Wheeling, West Virginia, and I attend Wheeling Park High Schoool. I am a Junior, going on to Senior.

A few days ago, one of the students at my school played a prank on a certain English teacher - he asked her to sit down and then pulled the chair out from under her, causing her to fall flat on her rear and (from what I've heard) slip a disk. Now, the kid has been suspended - 10 days, I believe. But the big thing here is, someone recorded the prank on his cell phone and spread the video school-wide. Now, I happen to have come across the video, and that's where the trouble begins.

I posted the video on YouTube as a favor, almost, to the kid who recorded it. I have nothing against the teacher, nor do I wish her any harm, but I believe that such a video is game to any and all publication. I believe that posting it on YouTube in no way puts me in any danger, and if the school tries to suspend/expel me, it would be a violation of my rights. Am I wrong in believing so?

And yes, they linked the YouTube account to me.

So, I ask you, dear reader, if you could shed any light on my situation. Should I be looking for a lawyer? Or should I just let it slide because they have no authority to suspend me because of an article/video outside of the school boundaries? Any and all advice would be appreciated - criticism for posting the video, however, is not welcomed.

Many thanks.

The school can and most likely will claim the posting is disruptive to the learning environment, even if it occurred off school grounds, and will punish the person who posted the video

Silverplum

I live in Wheeling, West Virginia, and I attend Wheeling Park High Schoool. I am a Junior, going on to Senior.

A few days ago, one of the students at my school played a prank on a certain English teacher - he asked her to sit down and then pulled the chair out from under her, causing her to fall flat on her rear and (from what I've heard) slip a disk. Now, the kid has been suspended - 10 days, I believe. But the big thing here is, someone recorded the prank on his cell phone and spread the video school-wide. Now, I happen to have come across the video, and that's where the trouble begins.

I posted the video on YouTube as a favor, almost, to the kid who recorded it. I have nothing against the teacher, nor do I wish her any harm, but I believe that such a video is game to any and all publication. I believe that posting it on YouTube in no way puts me in any danger, and if the school tries to suspend/expel me, it would be a violation of my rights. Am I wrong in believing so?

And yes, they linked the YouTube account to me.

So, I ask you, dear reader, if you could shed any light on my situation. Should I be looking for a lawyer? Or should I just let it slide because they have no authority to suspend me because of an article/video outside of the school boundaries? Any and all advice would be appreciated - criticism for posting the video, however, is not welcomed.

Many thanks.
And yet your vile actions WILL BE criticized. Here, there, everywhere. Whether you "welcome" the criticism or not. {Golly gee, is it too obvious to point out right here that the assaulted English teacher likely did not "welcome" the assault you thought fun to post on the internet? :rolleyes:}

There's not much we could say to you that isn't being said to your face and, more fun, behind your back. You've shown what you're made of, and it's not pretty.

Yes, I think you will need an attorney. Yes, I think you will have a come-uppance; hopefully more than one, and in more than one arena.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
criticism for posting the video, however, is not welcomed.
Gee - too bad. 'Cause you're going to get it anyway. Your posting the video was stupid and is likely to get you at least suspended. And guess what! That's likely to also be in your student records when you apply to college - a bright kid like you :rolleyes: surely expects to get into a good school. But most good schools don't really want problem kids. Which is what you are. And... I'm sure your parents will be very proud of you for this. You should likely be very happy that you're not my kid.

Hot Topic

Amazing that the kid who pulled the chair out from under the teacher wasn't expelled. Hopefully, justice will be sought in court.

Of course you have something against the teacher or you wouldn't have thought that a picture of her being injured was worth circulating to try and elicit a laugh. You come off as having a mean streak to match your arrogance.

Hopefully, your parents will soon have to deal with a lawsuit because you wanted to do someone a "favor."

Raptoer

Jeez guys lay off, expulsion is a last resort short of criminal charges. A disciplinary expulsion is basically a death sentence for anyone trying to get into college.

That being said, you did something stupid. Posting the video was not illegal. But the school doesn't have to follow the laws, because they're not law enforcement. The school board can come up with whatever punishment they want, and then all you can do is appeal it.

Suspension isn't nearly as bad as an expulsion, hell I got suspended in middle school but I still got into all the colleges I applied to.

Take the punishment like a man, and don't try to blame anyone else. Think about how your actions will affect others more, and when doing dubious things on the internet don't use anything that can be traced back to you without a subpoena! I highly doubt you will be expelled, since you didn't do any physical harm to anybody.

CdwJava

It is also very likely that they can tie the recording to a conspiracy as part of the act - arguably an aassault on the teacher.

If you are suspended or expelled, there is an appeals process. If your family feels strongly enough about it they can hire an attorney.

Hopefully you have learned that what you did was a dumb thing and served only to tie you into partnership with the pranksters.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">