• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Needing help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daswan23

I took my car to a transmission repair shop to have it checked out. So i let them check it, the guy called me 2 days later and gave me an estimation of $2300 dollars. At first i was like no thats a bit much to rebuild a transmission, and he was like just give me some money down and make payments. So he asked for my last 4 digits of my social and i gave it to him, not knowing that was a disaster to begin with. After we hung up i got to thinking i can't afford that's a tad much, so i called him back to cancel the work. He tells me it was to late because the transmission was half way built but i told him there is no way because we just got off the phone. If that was the case then he was working without my authority, so he refused to give me my car. The next morning i went to get it but he was talking the same as before, so i called the police thinking i would get some justice but they didn't do nothing cause it wasn't a criminal matter. If i take them to court do i have a case to get my car back or will i have to pay the money to get it back?What is the name of your state? South Carolina

BL

I took my car to a transmission repair shop to have it checked out. So i let them check it, the guy called me 2 days later and gave me an estimation of $2300 dollars. At first i was like no thats a bit much to rebuild a transmission, and he was like just give me some money down and make payments. So he asked for my last 4 digits of my social and i gave it to him, not knowing that was a disaster to begin with. After we hung up i got to thinking i can't afford that's a tad much, so i called him back to cancel the work. He tells me it was to late because the transmission was half way built but i told him there is no way because we just got off the phone. If that was the case then he was working without my authority, so he refused to give me my car. The next morning i went to get it but he was talking the same as before, so i called the police thinking i would get some justice but they didn't do nothing cause it wasn't a criminal matter. If i take them to court do i have a case to get my car back or will i have to pay the money to get it back?What is the name of your state? South Carolina
So the next morning did you look at the car , to see if the training was out .

I do believe the shop would have to disassemble the transmission in order to check it out , to see what needed to be done .

You took it there and told them to check it out .

You subsequently gave them permission to repair it ?

Do you honestly believe you're entitled to have the car returned in the state you brought it there .

The business has a right to take your car for non payment of services .

Call your State's DMV auto repair department , or Office of Attorney General , and ask what procedures and regulations Auto Repair Facilities are suppose to follow as to consumer permissions to repair .

In my state they can check consumer agreed by phone on the work order/invoice .

You agreed in your initial call .

You might want to call around and get some estimates from other shops on rebuilding that type of transmission , and if it's significantly higher that these folks are charging , try negotiating the price , or have it fixed as agreed , then try small claims .

Ask your self if the auto is worth it , or to let it go .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">