• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil lawsuit filed against myself and my former employer.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

panolo

What is the name of your state? MN

Hello. I was served a summons by a customer that I dealt with while working for my former employer. I had sold them a modular home and had resigned my position with the company before the home had made it from the factory to the new homeowners. In the meantime there became a squabble between my boss and the buyers. They had paid for the home at time of order and my boss refused to give the money back because the home had been ordered. Without getting into too many of the specifics I was not consulted or allowed to consult in helping settle this disagreement because I was no longer employed with the company.

They have now sued my former employer and myself for the purchase price of the home and $50,000+ for "injury". I have 20 days to respond to the summons.

My questions are:
1.Do I have liability in this case because I was no longer employed at the company when the issues arose?

2. Do I personally have to hire a lawyer or should I be covered by my former employers lawyer? I don't make a whole lot of money and to be honest can't really afford representation.

3. What should my next step be?

Thanks in advance for any advice I receive. I really appreciate it!

Rexlan

I agree with Zigner, you should have an attorney. You certainly may have liability as you were the salesperson in the transaction and it is the house/transaction that is a root issue.

The employer is not obligated to provide legal assistance to you and probably will not. The relationship between you and your former employer will be important. For instance were you playing the independent salesperson or contractor game? Or, were you actually an employee being paid a wage less deductions, etc..

panolo

I was an actual W-2 employee with deductions coming out. We did not general the project or agree to do anything else. Basically just contracted for the home. The bummer is that when I moved on from the job everything was in good standing. I switched careers and don't make nearly as much as I used to so this one is going to hurt financially even when I win.

Thanks for the confirmation of what I though to be true. Appreciate the reply.

tranquility

You should get an attorney, but you may escape any liability by being your master's (employer's) servant (employee).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">