• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sueing an ex friend.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

creasy

What is the name of your state? West Virgina

Is it worth my time to sue someone that doesn't have an income? Can a judge make them pay me back once they do have a job, how ever long that takes?

I loan her about 2,000.00 dollars in over a 4 month span. I have Western Union receipt totaling 1,236.88 with her name on it as the receiver and 2 with her boyfriend name on it. Do i have to sue both of them? I don't have prove of the other money so I'm just going to sue for the 1,236.00, is that a good idea?

I don't have any documents stating that the money was a loan, I trusted her (bad idea). I do have one text message on my phone from her asking to borrow $50 via Western union. Is this enough to show that the money was a loan? Her ex friend/roommate told me she would write a paper for me saying that it was a loan.

She doesn't have a job. Last time I heard she is selling drugs. I was trying to be a nice friend to help an old friend get back on her feet, but in the end she used me and now is bragging to people on how she played me.

Thanks in advance.

JETX

Is it worth my time to sue someone that doesn't have an income?
Depends.... how much is your time worth??

Can a judge make them pay me back once they do have a job, how ever long that takes?
No. The judge can only give you a judgment (if you win). It would then be entirely up to YOU to attempt to enforce it.

I loan her about 2,000.00 dollars in over a 4 month span. I have Western Union receipt totaling 1,236.88 with her name on it as the receiver and 2 with her boyfriend name on it. Do i have to sue both of them?
If you want to try to collect on all three, yes.

I don't have prove of the other money so I'm just going to sue for the 1,236.00, is that a good idea?
Sounds like one option.

I don't have any documents stating that the money was a loan, I trusted her (bad idea). I do have one text message on my phone from her asking to borrow $50 via Western union. Is this enough to show that the money was a loan?
If you can prove that you sent the $50, the text message could support your claim for that much. It might also help to convince the court of further loans.

creasy

No. The judge can only give you a judgment (if you win). It would then be entirely up to YOU to attempt to enforce it.

How I am suppose to enforce it?

Thanks for you advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">